2 lb young white potatoes, unpeeled
1/2 lb bacon strips
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock
Fresh Ground Pepper
chives or parsley
Yield: About 2 pounds; serves 4
1. Scrub the potatoes, place in salted water to cover, bring to a boil, and cook in softly boiling water for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
2. While the potatoes are still hot, skin them and cut them into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside in a large salad bowl.
3. Cook the bacon and onion in a large skillit until the bacon is almost crisp and the onion is transparent, 7 or 8 minutes. Remove from the skillet, set aside, and pat bacon dry with paper towels.
4. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet.
5. Return the skillet to the burner and add the vinegar and stock. Cook, over medium-low heat, until the mixture is slightly thickened, 8 to 12 minutes.
6. Return the bacon and onion to the skillet and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until all ingredients are well combined and hot.
7. Pour this hot dressing over the cooked poatoes, stirring gently to blend.
8. Sprinkle with the chives or parsley (if desired). Serve warm.